10/16/09

Todd Christensen

TODD CHRISTENSEN
Graduation: December 1989
Degree: BS, Accounting and Master of Accountancy
Activity: BYU Pep Squad
Mission: California Ventura
Occupation: Information Systems Consultant
Current Location: Washington D.C. area

I have lived and worked in the D.C. area for the last five-and-a-half years and was recently promoted to manager. I'm involved with Affirmation, a Gay and Lesbian Mormon support group, and also volunteer at a local food bank to distribute groceries to people with AIDS.
I grew up on a farm in a small Idaho town. The Church and the gospel were always very important to me. I was very active in the Church and held the positions that many LDS young men hold. In high school, I served as president of the National Honor Society, was a straight A student, and attended BYU on academic and music scholarships.
I loved and thoroughly enjoyed my years at BYU. I was proud of the contributions that BYU made to the world and wanted to make sure that I, too, made a contribution. However, my years at BYU were also times of deep personal struggle. I was frustrated by my lack of interest in women and refused to acknowledge my attraction to men. My culture made it difficult to accept that I was Gay. It taught me that I was evil.
When I left BYU I was troubled. I didn't know what lay ahead for me. However, over the last five years I have progressed and accepted my sexual orientation and realized that being Gay is not evil nor wrong. While I am Gay, being Gay is only a part of what I am. I can be Gay and also be spiritual, compassionate, and honest.

No comments:

Post a Comment