10/16/09

Matthew England

MATTHEW ENGLAND
Graduation: August 1986/August 1987
Degree: BA, Education and Masters of Education
Activity: HBLL cataloger, window washer
Mission: Belgium Antwerp
Occupation: Arts Program Manager
Current Location: Washington D.C. area

I love being Gay! It took me a long time to be able to honestly and cheerfully say those four words. I didn't "come out" and accept my same-sex orientation until the age of 32. Some of us come out at 16, some at 22, and some at 60! There is no right time to come out. I knew when the time was right for me and I'm glad I followed my heart.

It has not been easy to overcome all of the negative messages I have received about the very core of my being (as a homosexual man) within the Mormon Church. I did my best to do what I was told was "right" for me. I served a mission, graduated from BYU, and married in the temple. Ending my marriage was the hardest thing I have ever done. Although I wouldn't give anything to replace the wonderful years I spent with my ex-wife, I would give everything if I could take away the pain I caused her by accepting my same-sex orientation and deciding, with her, to end our marriage.

I know that God lives and that Jesus Christ is His Son. I know that I am redeemed through the Plan of Salvation and that I have a place in eternity. I don't know what the future holds but I am optimistic about the wonderful opportunities ahead of me. God bless us all as we learn and grow together!

No comments:

Post a Comment